Topic Coffe - The Best Coffee Sellers

Online shopping from the earth's biggest selection Best Seller of coffee, coffee recipe & coffee shop and just about anything else.

starbucks coffee maker Starbucks Sirena Espresso Machine, Stainless and Black

starbucks coffee maker Starbucks Sirena Espresso Machine, Stainless and Black
starbucks coffee maker Starbucks Sirena Espresso Machine, Stainless and Black


Ok - I spent hours pouring over reviews of machines before purchasing the Sirena. Because I wanted to do everything just right, I took an hour after the purchase to set it up following the extended instructions word by word. (For more experienced users, the quick setup would work and you would have your drink quick!) My first latte was amazing! I didn't even use syrup - it tasted great.

My initial concern: long time to brew espresso/confusion as to the purpose of the "self-tamper". It took a long time for my shots to pull, mostly just dripping. So, I reread thoroughly all the Amazon reviews (much better than those on the SB website) and found that:

FIRST - those with major issues probably had faulty machines or it was user-error. (no offense)
SECOND - there is some trial and error required for grind, etc.
MOST IMPORTANT - if your shots pull slowly (drip) simply POKE A LARGER HOLE IN THE RUBBER GASKET (self tamper).

Although I tried removing the self-tamper completely as some suggested - it produced zero creme. By simply using a sewing needle to open the hole a bit more, my espresso flowed smoothly out of the portafilter in seconds and it had the most beautiful creme. I AM THRILLED! I tested the heat of the straight shot and it was quite warm - but when added to frothed milk at a temp of 160 or more - it was the most delightful latte I have ever had - definitely rivals that of SB!

This machine is great for quality espresso, quality froth and good looks.

Oh - one more thing - I do agree with other reviewers that the need to drain the excess water from the steam wand before steaming is annoying, however, I have a system. Here is my method:

1. Turn on and warm up, meanwhile warm your mug with hot water
2. Once machine is ready, run 2 shots of water through to heat up the portafilter (I have the two most perfect glasses I use to hold the shot - they are tall slender juice glasses that fit perfectly under the portafilter)
3. Leave the portafilter connected while steaming/frothing milk
a. use one of the juice glasses (or another tall glass) to collect the excess water from the steam wand before steaming milk in stainless steel pitcher.
b. steam/froth milk to at least 160 degrees. I am able to steam first, then froth the top or visa versa. The frother is great!
4. Set milk aside or on warmer (the warmer isn't that warm, so don't count on it for "heat")
5. Remove hot portafilter, wipe out extra water/grounds and fill for one or two shots
6. Replace portafilter and choose your shot size (the time it took to add your espresso grounds is exactly enough to rewarm the machine)
7. Pull your shots, pour into mug and add milk immediately.

**Starbucks trains that you should add your milk to shots within 10 seconds for best results. That is why frothing first is important!

I have it down to a science now after just owning the machine for 4 days. If I learn anything new, I will update/edit my review. I think reviews are so important for others considering a product or having problems. They sure helped me and I hope I helped someone else!


0 comments:
Post a Comment